Monday, December 1, 2008

new beginnings

these are always times of uncertainty. fear. joy. happiness. new beginnings are happening around us all the time, some to lesser degrees and some greater. i have a new beginning in a desire to learn a bon iver song as i drink this coffee and write for the first time in a long time. this music haunts me. 


my last day at the lawrence journal-world was friday. on dec. 17 i will board a plane in kansas city and in a matter of hours will be flying over the atlantic ocean to dublin, ireland, where i will begin a journey long-anticipated. to start off i will participate in an organic farming exchange program, www.wwoof.org. this is an excellent tool for those wanting to travel or relocate and who are willing to put in manual labor. i will couchsurf with people never met, live in the irish countryside, ride horses, make stories of my own and pursue a photography i have yet to discover. or build upon the photography brewing inside of me. and when the time is right, continue. elsewhere. 

my departure from the newspaper industry comes at an interesting time. a time when paid jobs are treasured, in the face of a faltering system. but i can no longer ignore the urge to make pictures that are my own and set out into the world again. 



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Will I be the only one left?

Mike Kayton said...

Go boldly forth John Henry! The world will conspire in your favor. Thanks for posting :-)

m said...

best of luck on this new beginning. keep us posted.

Unknown said...

Oh, fuck yes.

John Henry said...

Thank you everyone for your support.

Nate - Glad to see you posting. Your wish has come true. Thanks for those talks at the Replay. I'll be making one more appearance before I leave. I'll let you know.

Mike - "The world will conspire in your favor." I read The Alchemist not too long ago. This phrase sounds deliciously familiar. Thanks for looking. I'll be watching!

Adam - Of course not.

M - Thank you. One day, I'll be back in the arms of APAD. You know it.