Sunday, December 28, 2008

in flight

I opened my eyes this morning to a sunrise like never before. Irish mountains peaked in the distance. Golden clouds played below me. Looking out the window I saw my new home. 

Outside night falls on a city I do not know, but will spend time soon beating the streets. Youth clamor arm-in-arm down a narrow road, asking me for a cigarette. Painted doors. Accents. An urban bustle that is not familiar, nor is it foreign. 

I sat at the tourist central, O'Connell Sreet, surrounded by my bags, a green one, red one, camera, old guitar case. They spilled around me in ease as I stretched my legs. The anxiety left me. Ireland surrounded me. Though, the rush of past travels wasn't present. I wasn't in a hurry to drain drinks at the pub. See the sites. No pressure. That's the beauty of relocation, versus travel. 

4 comments:

Matt Mills McKnight said...

Glad you made it, brother.

I look forward to seeing your new life in Ireland.

max bittle said...

good to hear you made it johnny.

cheers!

chris c. said...

John, I haven't checked out your blog in at least a month or so and needless to say, I am so happy that you have decided to possibly (?) take head from our conversation, and many others I'm sure, to move to a new location and see what you can do. I am so happy for you and I truly wish the best for you. Please do write more, write about what you're seeing, what you see other people doing, what it is like to move from the dreaded United States to a country overseas, etc. I cannot wait to see all your new endeavors captured through your photographs.

Best of luck, friend. I hope we cross paths again.

John Henry said...

Chris - Yes it finally happened. Everything sort of came together. I will be posting some new work soon, and hopefully with some writing to back it up.