Monday, May 19, 2008

Can you?

Sunburned. Windblown. Hot taste of asphalt in the dry, pre-summer air. Not quite the Midwest humid I've learned to dread but that inbetween stage, this beautiful month of May.

I spent last week driving through central Kansas. Baseball and swimming and soccer and baseball. Manhattan. Topeka. I-70. Gas station coffee at 10:30. 15 minute nap in a mall parking lot. Sunburned arms. Paste white shoulders.

All that time and no time to photograph for me. Yesterday I made time. Carved a couple hours out of my day, pulled off the interstate and stood on my red, battered Jeep in the middle of a great plains grass.

See here's the thing. Anyone can love the mountains. That's easy. But can you love Kansas?




2 comments:

max bittle said...

(with my right hand raised high) i can i can i can!

-max

Unknown said...

...or rather how can you not love Kansas? Just kidding. I really hope you enjoy your new locale... the hardest thing to do is keep fresh eyes wherever you are... (Believe me, I come from Beaumont, Texas...a place even Jack Kerouac wouldn't stop to piss at.) but take advantage of the time you have when your vision is new and comes with ease... SHOOT the island up! (I'll be living vicariously through you)