Sunday, April 27, 2008

Go fast

I had way more fun shooting NASCAR yesterday at the Kansas Speedway than I thought I would. Couple reasons, because one, man it's straight up adrenaline pumping through your veins when these cars wreck. And two, ear plugs. All about the ear plugs. It's a whole different world with ear plugs in, especially at the races when no one expects you to talk to them and everyone's so busy they're not going to bother you. Couple that with a nice muting blanket, drowning out the details around you. No reason to open your mouth except to crack a smile when approaching someone to photograph, showing them your camera. It put me in a calm, focused trance and I'm looking forward to patrolling the pits again today mid-race with my ears plugged up.

Chances are I'll be spending part of that time hovering around Danica Patrick's pit. She recently became the first woman to win an IndyCar race. This is such a boys-club, crotch grabbing, tobacco chewing sport, her victory means a lot more than the money she racked in. I know there's a lot of young ladies out there right now looking up to Patrick.




No comments: