Wednesday, April 16, 2008

don pankey

It's beautiful. It really is. And a blessing, to be a photographer. I meet so many people all that time I otherwise would not. Extraordinary people. Ordinary people. From all walks of life and backgrounds. In each of them there is something unique.

Today I learned that one of these special persons, one I met through working as a photojournalist, one that I know was very much loved and had a good heart, passed away.

When I met Don for the first time, he was as vibrant as ever. Despite the chemo, despite the doctors' condemnations, despite all the hospital trips and medications and sicknesses he had been through in the previous six months. I sat in his dining room with him and talked. He rested his large elbows on the wooden table, leaned forward and was inquisitive. I had come there to hear his story, but ended up giving mine as much as he gave his.

Without me knowing it at the time, he was inviting me into his home. He never faltered at the idea to make me part of his family... have me stay for supper.. or come over early so we could talk over black coffee and doughnuts. I think he realized I had moved away from my family to pursue what I love.. so he was sharing his with me. For that, I will never be thankful enough. But I will try.

Don passed away Wednesday. This is something I honestly did not think was going to happen. He was so adamant about beating the cancer.. he and his wife were so confident.. I was just in Colorado too... and I didn't stop by to say hello. I hadn't heard that he was any more considerably ill. I guess I didn't want to feel like I was intruding...

In the time I've known Don, I considered him a guide to his sons. Which is what a father should be. He raised them well.. and I know they are proud.

Thank you, Don, for letting me into your family. My thoughts are with them.

No comments: