Sunday, January 13, 2008

Color

In an attempt push myself to work harder I've decided try and incorporate color more often in my photographs. I've never considered myself much of a photographer of color. This will be an exercise in paying attention, in whatever way it manifests itself. I want to share these, even the most inane ones, on this site. I guess it's more about slowing down and focusing more on details and enjoying the process.

I met Bob Miller a couple of days ago. He was in Washington DC and listened to Martin Luther King Jr. deliver the "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during the Civil Rights Movement. He told me the day he got on the bus to ride down and listen to the speech, he didn't think it would be a big deal. On the bus ride back, he knew he had witnessed history. Mr. Miller has led much of his life according to the ideals of the civil rights movement. He marched in Washington, held demonstrations in the South, the Clan has spat and thrown feces on him. And to this day, he sings the same song.

When he speaks, it's with a tone of compassion and hope. He continues to carry it, and share it with simple gestures and with his words.

2 comments:

cc.spicegirl said...

And you say you're not a writer.

John Henry said...

Thanks Chris. With a story like his, it sorta tells itself...