Tuesday, September 2, 2008

some changes

-- words haven't been coming lately. I'm not sure why they come when they do, or if it matters but I feel like I should be making an effort to write... something. Again, not sure why but yesterday I canceled my membership to APhotoADay... or put it on hold rather. For the past two years APAD has been my lifeline to feedback and inspiration.. never more so than when I was in Craig... But, I want to make some changes in my day to day life about what images I'm looking at for inspiration and how many. And why even. Why am I looking at the images I'm looking at? Maybe looking at fewer but a varied flavor... I plan to branch out to study different types of contemporary photography, mixed media.. any facet of photography that can be molded or blended into a reportage or documentary-type manner.

please, if you have any know of any fresh media websites, blogs or publications do post them. and likewise, I'll probably be passing along whatever i'm looking at for inspiration.

4 comments:

Tom Leininger said...

Go to the art library at KU. It is great and if you just start looking at all the work you do not know, you might find some unexpected inspiration. There is also a book called Conversations with Contemporary Photographers edited by Nan Richardson that is worth reading. This might be a good place to start. Or try this: http://www.mocp.org/collections/permanent/

Good luck, there is a lot more out there than journalism.

m said...

the signal to noise ratio is lopsided. there's a lot more noise.

i've been wanting to cancel my membership to APAD for years now. to take a break. to breathe.

Brian said...

Les Krims. A little more Diane Arbus than you might like, but just enough to make you think about documentation and it's relationship to the constructed image.

http://www.leskrims.com/leskrims2.html

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and understanding.

Tom and Brian - Thanks, I'll check it out.

M - I don't think anyone would blame you if you took a hiatus from it all. You've got to be able to clear your mind. APAD is a beautiful thing but I feel you.