Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Jack

I had the pleasure today of meeting a hero. This is Jack. He's 88 and navigated B-17 bombers in World War II. After sitting and listening to him tell stories about WWII, Korea and Vietnam, he showed me pictures of damaged bombers. Planes that were hit by shrapnel, showing gaping holes and missing wings that somehow made it back to the Allied base. He told me how his crew would watch out their windows during bombing raids to count parachutes of neighboring planes that were crashing to record how many soldiers survived the initial attack. It sent chills down my spine. I can't imagine being on either side of the fight in World War II. On Friday Jack will be the keynote speaker at the VFW recognition of POWs - MIAs.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Christ, that is one beautiful portrait. I wish I could have shown this as part of my portrait lecture two weeks ago.

But then again, I'm not sure that one could teach this kind of thing...

John Henry said...

Brian,

I appreciate this very much coming from you.

Thank you.

kate furst said...

I love this picture. And I miss Brian. Nate is going to help me with the move of the pets. Any chance you could help me with that head shot tomorrow?

John Henry said...

Kate,

Thank you. Sorry but I'll be out of town at a workshop until probably Monday. But I'd be happy to do it soon after that.

JPH

Unknown said...

can you teach me how to do that? great subject + great light + perfect lens choice + john henry = amazing pic. nice job. check out Nick's new site:

http://nickkrug.com

I built the thing and I'm releasing the template on http://graphpaperpress.com

John Henry said...

Haha, anytime Thad ;)

Thanks for the compliment.

The website looks smoking. I know a certain fellow with a lacking website who might request your services!