Tuesday, October 2, 2007

hiding. i wonder if i'm hiding sometimes. behind the f stops and the shutter and not living. not out there doing it. being it. living it. rather, framing it, composing it and clicking it.

i can't be too caught up in that. because this box, its with me all the time. i can't put it down. constantly strapped across my chest. the strap says nikon or canon or sometimes its a little thin strap connected to a black toy camera. but it's there just like i'm there.

visceral is not the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind. (See: Choke, Also: Chuck Palahniuk) is there a point when life stops becoming visceral because it's constantly being filtered through this box?

these thoughts resurface after a front porch conversation last night as the first few hours of october were passing. i hadn't taken many pictures and was asked why. i dunno, i just don't feeeel like it.

well, all this is just silly anyway right? or is it

2 comments:

Lane said...

There is nothing wrong with always having your camera and shooting everything that you experience, IF you see something or feel something when you are shooting it. Many times I will be asked if I have my camera with me all the time and I tell them I like to have it just in case. If I see something, I WILL take a photo. If I don't, I won't. I never feel like I am missing out on anything because when I am occupied doing/experiencing something, the camera does not control me. I control it and I will lift it up, focus and click when I want to.

John Henry said...

Good thing we're not painters, or sculptures. That'd be a lot of material to haul to the club...

Don't you ever wanna be riding that bull? or wrecking that bike? or eating the 148 hot dogs?

I suppose I get sensory overload seeing all these random quirky things all the time and feel like my life is falling short. Like somehow I gotta get to that level.