Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fun

Today I went to the Taste of Lawrence. Not thinking, I had eaten at Chipotle less than an hour before. Vendors around town set up shop in an open field in town and after patrons paid so much to get in, i assume, they get to eat and drink whatever, and however much, they want.

I screwed up.

But I still had fun. When I first got there I worked the normal shot really hard in some nice light. Got something I liked then pressed further to one-up it. But that wasn't clicking. Had to try a different approach. Then I saw this yellow canopy and got totally side tracked. I still kept my eye out for people eating but I also kept my eye out for people wearing yellow. I ended up shooting some picture of this guy then talking to he and his wife about their businesses.


Then I saw this girl and her yellow shirt. I asked her if I could photograph her while standing in line. Got the go ahead and took a picture. Doh, they're both looking at me. Well I keep shooting and don't get anything I really like. But going back through the edit, this frame, the frame you take a million times at the start of a shoot to get people to stop looking at you, stood out to me. Maybe it would be more interesting without the context...


Two kids playing in the light.


Then I bumped into the guy in the yellow shirt again and walked right up to his group and started photographing. Funny how once people know what you're up to they don't even look at you twice.


I also bumped into my friend Kate serving food for her employer. It was some sort of gooy chocolate in a flaky crust, how could I resist.


And now back in time to Tuesday night, sitting in Whit's backyard, propped back in lawn chairs, talking about what comes next:

Charles Ray, the fella on the left, is somewhat of a painter. I say somewhat because the pieces he creates look very much like a painting, but the process is something entirely different. Charles works with rust.. Some abstract, some very realistic. I won't go into the detail of it, but what he produces is magnificent. He's a member of the fresh produce art collective: http://freshproduceartcollective.com/

No comments: