Monday, August 18, 2008

idols

Ever since my visit to the Nelson-Atkins museum in Kansas City a couple weeks ago, my thoughts have been bent on 13th century Christian art. Growing up and hitting all the museums while on vacation and ever so much with a passion while living in Sevilla, I spent days just wandering around the tiniest museums over there.. these hole-in-the wall museums you would chuckle at in the united states are the most amazing thing over there. So much history.. so many paintings. I remember distinctly one time in a desolate Sevilla museum, laying down on cold tile, the only guy who's probably been in the room all day, and just staring up at ceiling mural and drifting away.

And I dug it all... all except the 13th century stuff. The lack of perspective drove me nuts up until a week ago. As I was browsing the older European stuff at Atkins I saw some super quirky, bizarre depictions of people being sucked down to hell. A lot like Bosch. I stood in front of that painting and laughed. Got a lot of stares but whatever.

While in Springfield, Brian and I were being consumers and browsing second-hand shops. I came across this glossy print of Mary and ole' Jesus and knew I had to have it. $3 bucks. Printed right on to a big slab of wood. The book is a Bosch print book I borrowed from the library. I'm not sure what it is about the print but it makes me think. And I'm not really sure why.

And yes I did nail it straight through the wood. And I messed one up.


No comments: