Sunday, March 16, 2008

More

Back in Lawrence and left felt wanting more. More snow. More mountains. More friend's living rooms and uncomfortable nights sleeping on couches. More early mornings sitting up coughing and thinking, unable and no longer even wanting to sleep. More late nights in places I've never been but am becoming accustomed. More learning by watching, seeing and doing. More long drives and meaningless stops that mean so much. More than anything. More. More.

Being on the road is being in a relationship. You give and take and sacrifice and listen. Look out the window, shut up and learn. Stay quiet. Thank and forgive. How much do we truly enjoy what we have until it's the past? You stop. Lie down. Release and live. Photograph the moment you are in. Breathe, move and live.

Kerouac spent seven years on the road. In a blink I just spent seven days. It was my vacation. It was his life. I've been in Lawrence less than 24 hours and already I pace. I want to do everything. I want to feel its grit, see its flaws, taste its juices and smell its stench. Feel it under my boots and under my tires. I want the doors to creek and the sun to burn. I want my back to hurt and my ears ring, ring, ring. I want my ears to rage in madness. And I want to see. I want to see through my camera, through my contacts, through my friend's voices and their laughter. I want to see through all the dirty windows of the world, the cracked and splintered. The cold. The fogged. The happy beat windows that give light to a new day every morning, each more brilliant than the next.







2 comments:

Lane said...

Looks like u and Max are having fun. I hope you are doing well.

John Henry said...

Lanesan,

We had a good time clicking our way through the Co. Thanks for looking.

Good to hear from you. Enjoying the Herald?

JH