Sunday, November 4, 2007

Records

One of the perks of being a photojournalist. Being there. Recording history. That one moment that changed a life, the world or the game.

KU football is 9-0, something that hasn't happened in 100 years. And on Saturday, they stomped Nebraska so hard, 76-39. Records were broken ad nauseum. Touchdowns scored against Nebraska. TD passes in a game. TD passes in a season... How many touchdowns can you stomach? I was reeling after the first quarter. Can't imagine how the Cornhusker defense felt...

Here, the KU defense intercepts a pass, surely on their way to score another touchdown.

Today I sat on the hardwood floor. A familiar feeling in November. One that will last through March. The pain in my back and butt a living proof. Much different than the pain that radiates through the knees after shooting four quarters of football. This is different.

It's basketball season.

And I shot my first game in Allen Fieldhouse, the home, the birthplace of the sport. Now I'm not much of a basketball fan. Especially shooting it. I think that feeling comes from sitting in dank high school gyms. Learning to shoot it in horrid middle school gyms as a student.

But don't get me wrong. I love me some college basketball. Ask me trivia about a team other than the Salukis or the Jayhawks and I'm likely to change the subject. But this kind of competition.. this is different. Competition like this draws in even the most naive.

2 comments:

Tom Leininger said...

Some might consider sitting on the floor of Allen Fieldhouse a privilege, I did. When I suffered through a decade of mediocre basketball in the Big 10 at a non-basketball school, you my friend are lucky. Unless of course the football has stolen the basketball team's mojo.

Tom Leininger
KU grad

Lane said...

Very nice football action. :-)